- What are the five classic causes of a post-operative fever?
- What are two other clever causes to think of (if I do say so myself)?
- The five classic causes of post-operative fever are:
- Wind = lungs (atelectasis, pneumonia, aspiration) = POD 1-2
- Water = UTI = POD 2-3
- Wound = surgical site infection = POD 3-5
- Walking = DVT = POD 3-5
- Wonder drugs = drug reactions = anytime
- Another two “W’s” to add to this list:
- Withdrawal = typically alcohol
- “Wonky” glands = thyrotoxicosis, adrenal crisis
Check out my article in JAAPA from 2016 on “Evaluating Postoperative Fever” for a more in-depth look